Thursday, November 7, 2013

Shark in the Ocean & Bats in the Sky (3rd installment)

Shark in the Ocean & Bats in the Sky (3rd installment)
August 2013; Vegan Negative Level 4 (More Lame!)


Coffee Date #2:

Shark and I meet at the Starbucks where we had our first coffee date. This time, I ran a few minutes behind. He did not have his nose in a book. By this time, after all of the conversations over the weekend and the I want to fill up the 3 hours I have free in between social engagements; I’m a little more standoffish….

He orders his black coffee and cream and I order my vanilla soy latte. Shark again pokes fun at how complicated my drink is, and I just have that feeling of déjà vu… I lead the conversation off with; “I’m not feeling the label “Veggie””. He doesn't see what’s wrong with it, and the fact that I have to explain it, makes me even more standoffish. We go sit outside at the same table, and we're making conversation. Here it comes, that moment when you know that one isn't as understanding of your lifestyle as they say (in fact, no clue!).

He brings up the question (which gives him his name). If you are swimming in the ocean and a shark is going to attack you, but you have a spear. Will you use the spear to save yourself from the shark? (I'm 34 years old-yes, real age. I've never been asked that in all of the years of being vegetarian, going vegan or on a date. WTH?! For those who love me. You know, I don’t go to the beach. I don’t go swimming, and in fact, will NOT get into the water. So, this question is insane to ask someone.) I play along, and say that if it’s my time, it’s my time and leave it that. In the rest of the conversation throughout the evening, he still brings up the shark question. Not letting it go, I cut the coffee date short after watching the bats take over the evening sky. He brings me bag full of products that his company sells. I look at it and, he’s saying don't tell me. (Yes. All the items that he sells test on animals and use chemicals that I haven’t used in years, etc. He is clueless and I'm not being a snob, I just know that he will NEVER get it.)

I send him a text saying “I'm not feeling the connection. Good luck in your search.” His response is “It must be hard to make a connection, due to my lifestyle.”

No comments:

Post a Comment